What It Is
Help yourself and get back into your computer, VPN, Identity Manager, and other state applications that use your network username and password without having to call the OIT Service Desk team.
How to Do It
- Register to use Password Self-Service.
- State employees can click on the square top key icon on the log in screen of their computer or go to the Password Self-Service website.
- To reset your password for the MyCDHS or HCPF portals, follow the instructions for MyPassword Manager.
If you are having issues signing into your Google account, contact the Service Desk.
Learn more about Password Self-Service at TechU (State employees only)
Learn how to sync your new password to Windows when working remote (Video)
Password Standards and Tips
Why does OIT have password standards?
Every application used by state workers requires a sign-on with a username and password. OIT’s rules for password complexity align with the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) recommendations. The complexity of OIT’s password standards provides a level of security assurance. The more complex the password, the more difficult it is for an unauthorized person to get into your account.
What are OIT’s password standards?
- Your password must be at least nine characters.
- It must be a mix of upper and lower case letters.
- It must contain at least one number and/or one special character.
- When prompted to reset your password, you can not use the same password for six generations.
Tips for creating a strong password
- Do not use personal information (e.g., dog’s name, your address, etc.) that might easily be guessed or real words.
- Use a combination of 10 or more upper and lower case characters as well as numbers and special characters.
Tips for creating a strong passphrase
Passphrases are often much easier to remember than a password and are harder to hack.
Think of a string of words that mean something to you and are at least 14 characters - the longer the better. Then, substitute numbers or special characters in place of some of the letters. You can also use spaces.
- The road to success is within my control and I will start today
- Color@do New York Par!s 0rient Xpress
Service Desk Contacts
The OIT Service Desk supports Colorado state agencies and county partners.