The questions below are a starting point to help OIT or other state agency teams understand the level of accessibility built into a vendor’s service, product, process and culture. Please refer to OIT’s Accessibility Guide for Procurement for more resources, including a handy Vendor Accessibility Checklist.
- What standards do you use when evaluating your product's accessibility support?
- Do you develop solutions that conform to WCAG 2.1, Level A and AA specifications?
- What internal processes do you use to evaluate and remediate accessibility issues? Do you use any assistive technology applications?
- What types of automated and manual accessibility testing procedures do you perform?
- How do you ensure keyboard and/or touch support for any interactive elements?
- Because/If “X” is not accessible to screen readers, how will you find solutions to maximize the effectiveness of “X” for people with disabilities?
- How is accessibility and inclusivity integrated into your culture and how is that reflected in product development and quality assurance testing to ensure the equivalent ease of use for individuals with disabilities?
- What types of documentation can you provide about the product's accessibility conformance?
- Do you have a VPAT?
- Do you work with any third-party vendors to certify your product is WCAG 2.1 compliant?
- Is there a designated accessibility representative at your company to address issues or questions about accessibility issues?
- What training and experience do the technical teams have in creating accessible products and/or services? Is accessibility training or support updated on a regular basis for internal teams?
Resources for State of Colorado Agencies
Siteimprove: Siteimprove’s software helps to improve State website usability and accessibility by automating the process of finding errors and problems. Siteimprove alone will not make websites accessible but is part of a holistic approach to managing web services.
For questions about using Siteimprove or Siteimprove Academy, please contact Theresa Montano, OIT Solutions Architect of Accessibility at email@example.com.
Don't have access to Siteimprove? Use these free browser extensions:
- WAVE Web Accessibility Evaluation Tool, WebAIM
- Siteimprove Browser Extensions (Chrome and Firefox), Siteimprove
- Selecting Web Accessibility Evaluation Tools, W3C
Siteimprove Academy, Siteimprove (Requires a login)
To request accessibility testing:
Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act of 1973, section508.gov